Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Fun Mooting








Haih..sad case..actually I spent a few hours trying to download the blogskins..but I don't know why it just failed.Gosh.Gotta stick to this skin then.

I tend to worry unnecessarily. I was thinking the whole day what kind of questions will be asked by the judge..whether my script was good or not..whether I need to rebutt my opponents....etc
Finally the day has come. Unbelievable.Haha.

My moot would start at 3. Before that,there was a mooting competition going on. Saw the timekeeper walking up and down.So busy. My friend suddenly asked me'' wanna join mooting competition..??'' I was not responding to her question. I was concentrating on my mooting. mooting. mooting. Maybe I will join la..but not now la..too stressed up.

We went in to the court at 2.30 pm together with my senior counsel,amirah and my learned opponents,esther and jeannie. I was the junior counsel for the respondent, acting behalf on Mr Cotton.

Esther,senior counsel for the appellant, started her speech. It took around 12 minutes. Oh God.I was panicked.I was afraid that I would burst out laughing. Then,my senior counsel, amira started to talk. As usual, I heard words like telemessage..acceptance..contract..''my client''..bla bla bla..then its jeannie's turn. Oh gosh. It would be my turn after that. I looked at the expression given by the judge,she seemed tired.Confused. Oh I could feel the speed of my hear beats.Bok Bok Bok..!!!

All of a sudden,jeannie ended her speech. Then the judge said'' Your submission please, junior counsel for the respondent'' So I stood up eventually. And I started like this'' My ladyship, I am the junior counsel for the respondent Mr Cotton, Min yuen, and with your permission, I will continue the submissions on behalf of the respondent.'' Oh my gosh.I was so nervous until I could sense that my words were quite ''out''.. and there goes my tone as well.




Oh shit. I can't go on like that! So I started to cool down and THANK GOD.It went well.The only thing is that I felt thirsty. I'd been talking non-stop for 15 minutes. Hehee.So I went on:


If it pleases Your Ladyship,may I now proceed to deal with my first contention?




May It Please Your Ladyship.As my learned friend has argues earlier,there does not exist a contract between the appellant and the respondent.This is beacuse the telemessage was not effective until delivered;and the letter of rejection took effect upon posting.In other words,the offer was rejected before it could be accepted.How would there be a contract if there was no accepatnce at all?



Bla bla bla




Bla bla bla




Arguing and arguing

Finally:''Unless I can be of further assistance to Your Ladyship,that is the conclusion of my submission on behalf of the respondent.''

So today I was supporting my friends, wei yee and karen(both appellant),pik khee and jia sin(both respondent),wei chao,kian min,yi ping and florence(both appellant). Of all thoughts yi ping is the one I remembered the most.HE IS DAMN FUNNY.Before the mooting,during lunch break,he told me that he was going to seduce the judge(and demonstrated to me).And then, he cracked out:''An apple a day keeps the doctor away.''(his hands holding the red apple and showing to the judge) I was laughing like monkey's business.I looked at florence,his partner for mooting.She was kinda AFRAID,I would say.Oh ya,I remembered her words:'Oh man,what did I do wrong..that I get yi ping for my mooting partner.'' Seriously yi ping is our class joker.

So I stayed back to support pik khee and jia sin, wei chao, and yi ping. I really wanted to see wei chao and yi ping MOOT.Wei chao, is also a very funny guy.I would get entertained with him around no matter where and when.Maybe is because he likes to act and exaggerate.Haha. And I couldn't believe that yi ping actually BANGED the table.He was too emotional.EMO.Members of the floor burst out laughing,while he remained calm and cool and kept on arguing and arguing.Pooh.My stomach can't take it anymore.I'd been laughing so much that I felt the 'pinch' of it.



Today is a nice day which is full of laughters,I would say.It's so great to be in KDU college studying law twinning programme with a respectful and honoured university in the name of Oxford.

No comments: